xStep introduces a variety of new map components including block designs and pulsators, with new decorative introductions becoming a frequent occurrence in later levels. It also introduces the cyan gravity pad and the cyan gravity ring briefly during later sequences, making movements more complex.
A cube sequence takes place from 0% to 8%; a ball sequence from 9% to 18%; a ship sequence from 18% to 27%; a cube sequence from 27% to 36%; a ship sequence from 36% to 54%; a cube sequence from 54% to 72%; a ball sequence from 72% to 90%; and a ship sequence from 90% to 100%.
- The first secret coin is located at 21% and collected as the ship. After passing beneath two pit obstacles, fly narrowly over a third thorn pit obstacle, falling slightly to collect the coin before immediately rising to clear an oncoming structure.
- The second secret coin is located at 53% and collected as the ship. After entering the passageway, as it rises slightly for a second time, fly down through a gap in the structure. Once inside, fly up, collect the coin and exit the structure by the end of the sequence.
- The third secret coin is located at 59% and collected as the cube. After hitting the third gravity pad, jump once close to the small spike. Hit a gravity ring as the cube falls upwards to collect the coin before immediately hitting a jump ring upon return to the main route.
- The second ship sequence is the only sequence in a main level that contains pads of any type.
- xStep contains a small spike, needing to be jumped over while attempting for the third secret coin, although they are not formally introduced until Clutterfunk.
- xStep, Cycles and Clubstep are the only levels to reward icons in practice mode.
- xStep takes 84 seconds to complete and requires a minimum of 81 jumps.