xStep introduces a variety of new map components including block designs and flashing components, this becoming common in later levels. It also lightly introduces the cyan gravity pad and cyan gravity ring during later sequences, making movements more complex. A cube sequence takes place from 0% to 8%; a ball sequence from 9% to 18%; a ship sequence from 18% to 27%; a cube sequence from 27% to 36%; a ship sequence from 36% to 54%; a cube sequence from 54% to 72%; a ball sequence from 72% to 90%; and a ship sequence from 90% to 100%.
- The first secret coin is located at 21% and collected as the ship. After passing beneath two thorn pit obstacles, fly narrowly over a third thirn pit obstacle, falling slightly to collect the coin before immediately rising to clear an oncoming structure.
- The second secret coin is located at 53% and collected as the ship. After entering the more narrow passageway, as it rises slightly for a second time, fly down through a gap in the structure. Once inside, fly up, collect the coin and exit the structure, entering the cube portal.
- The third secret coin is located at 59% and collected as the cube. After hitting the third gravity pad, jump once close to the small spike. Hit a gravity ring as the cube falls upwards to collect the coin before immediately hitting a jump ring upon return to the main route.
- The second ship sequence is the only sequence in a main level that contains pads of any type.
- xStep contains a small spike, needing to be jumped over while attempting for the third secret coin, which are not formally introduced until Clutterfunk.
- xStep, Cycles and Clubstep are the only levels to reward icons in practice mode.
- xStep takes 1 minute and 24 seconds to complete and requires a minimum of 82 jumps.